Fire in a laundry dryer at nursing home in Portland

3:46 PM, Mar 1, 2014   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- The Portland Fire Department responded to an automatic fire alarm at the Portland Center for Assisted living at 68 Devonshire St. When units arrived they discovered a fire in a laundry dryer.

It was quickly extinguished by the first arriving units. According to Deputy Chief William Flynn, residents in the floor directly above the dryer room were evacuated and sheltered in place on the other side of a fire door. 

Fire doors are designed to contain a fire to an area for a determined period of time as required by Portland city building code.

After the smoke was cleared and air quality was monitored and determined to be safe, residents were allowed to return to their units.

Fire Chief Jerome LaMoria states "The fire alarm system worked exactly as designed ensuring a quick response which minimized the damage and ensured the safety of the buildings residents. The value of a properly installed and maintained fire alarm system can not be understated."

Preliminary damage estimates are $5000.00. The damage was limited to the commercial dryer unit, and there were no reported injuries.

Most Watched Videos