Exploding furnace burns Sanford man

5:21 AM, Apr 17, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

SANFORD, Maine (AP) - Officials with the State Fire Marshal's Office say a Sanford man was severely injured when a wood furnace exploded in his backyard.

Authorities say Thomas Basinger, 39, was trying to ignite a fire in the furnace on his Lebanon Road property when it exploded Tuesday afternoon. Officials say he suffered burns on more than 90 percent of his body.

Investigators say Basinger's wife doused her husband with a garden hose. He was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston for treatment.

Officials believe Basinger used a flammable liquid in the furnace that exploded when he tried to light it. They're trying to determine exactly what happened.






Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most Watched Videos