DON MORRISON'S CORNED BEEF
Don Morrison is the Operations Manager at Wayside Food Programs in Maine.
A printable version of Don's recipes can be found on the 207 Kitchen section of our website.
Homemade Corned Beef
- 4-8 lbs beef roast
- 2 Tablespoons of pickling spice
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 c kosher salt (1 pound)
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 Gallon water (measured into 2, half gallons)
- Place the meat in a large glass or plastic container (do not use metal!)
- Sprinkle with the pickling spice, bay leaves, and garlic
- Bring salt, spices, sugar, and garlic to a boil in half of the water, stir until salt & sugar is dissolved.
- Cool down with remaining (half gallon) of water and pour over meat
- Weigh meat down under the brine and leave 5-7 days
Old Fashioned Boiled Dinner
- 4-8 lbs corned beef
- 2-3 onions, cut into one inch pieces
- 3-4 stalks of celery, large dice
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and cut
- 4-5 potatoes, large dice
- 1 head of cabbage, core removed and cut into large strips
- Place corned beef into large pot (or crock pot) and cover with water. Bring the water to a rolling boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer. Monitor closely and add water as needed due to evaporation.
- After 3 hours of meat simmering, add onions, potatoes, carrots, and celery. Simmer for 60 minutes.
- Add cabbage and simmer for another 30 minutes or until cabbage has softened.
- Serve with a small amount of broth from the pot. Enjoy!
For more information on Don Morrison or Wayside click here: WAYSIDE FOOD PROGRAMS