UMaine women's hoops falls in OT

8:04 PM, Nov 10, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

RALIEGH, N.C. (NEWS CENTER) -  Brittany Wells' (Indianapolis, In.) three-pointer with 18-seconds remaining in regulation tied things up and sent the game into overtime but the University of Maine women's basketball team fell in the end, dropping the contest 79-76 to Wofford (1-1) on Saturday evening. Ashleigh Roberts (Wilmington, Del.) dropped a career-high 29 points on 11-for-17 shooting to lead the Black Bears (0-2).

Wells shot 4-for-7 from beyond the arc en route to 12 points while Liz Wood (Catlett, Va.) added 11 points and Mikaela Gustafsson (Sodertalje, Sweden) netted 10.

Rachel Brittenham paced the Terriers with 18 points while Morgan Wrightson added 17, including a 12-for-12 day from the free-throw line.

Wofford broke out to a nine point lead with a series of early first half runs before the Black Bears began to chip away at the lead late in the half. Roberts started the comeback as she worked her way to the line for a free throw. Following the make, Roberts made a steal at the top of the key and drove to the other end, drawing contact and laying the ball up and off glass. Roberts completed the three-point play with a free throw to bring Maine within five.

The Black Bears kept the pressure on in the waning minutes of the opening half. Roberts pulled down an offensive board and went coast-to-coast for a layup. Following a free-throw from Gustafsson and a Terrier make on the opposite end, Wood worked her way inside with a nice take to bring Maine within one. Wofford knocked down a pair of late free throws to take a 36-33 lead into the half.

Roberts paced the first half Black Bear attack with 11 points, going a perfect 4-for-4 from the field. Wood added 10 points and a pair of rebounds as Maine shot 47.8% as a squad in the opening half while pulling down 18 first half boards.

Wofford came out strong in the second half as it staged a 10-2 run to start half to take a 46-35 lead.

Trailing by 10 with just over three minutes remaining in regulation, Gustafsson started an 8-0 Black Bear run as she knocked down a three from the left wing before making a slash to the hoop and laying the ball up and off glass for a pair. Wells forced a steal on the other end and hit Roberts who knocked down a jumper from the left elbow. After a free throw from Roberts, the Terriers hit a shot on the other end to take a three-point lead.

With just 18-seconds to play in the second half, the Black Bears worked its offense out of a timeout as Wood found Wells on the right wing. Wells stepped back from her defender and buried a three to tie the contest at 65-65. Maine's defense came up big on the opposite end as the game headed into overtime.

Wofford twice built three-point leads in the overtime which were erased by Maine, first on a three from the top of the key from Courtney Anderson (Greene, Maine) and than after Roberts completed a three-point play with a made free throw following a layup. However, Wofford hit three-straight free throws in the final minute and the Black Bears could not overcome this final three-point deficit, dropping the contest 79-76.

Maine returns to action on Tuesday as it hosts Syracuse in the Black Bears' home opener at 7 PM from Alfond Arena.

Most Watched Videos