photo: Crash Reel - The Documentary
PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- If you're looking for a few things to add to your schedule this weekend, here's a list of WCSH6's Six Things to do This Weekend.
1. ROBERT BURNS NIGHT - Calling all writers and English majors: there's an event just for you. A celebration of Scottish poet Robert Burns is taking place Saturday night at the Portland and Rochester Public House. Poetry readings and whiskey tasting are expected to take place. Tickets are $30, which includes three whiskey tastings. More information about that event can be found here: http://bit.ly/1fckRrD. There is also a Burns celebration in Brunswick at the Inn at Brunswick Station. Poetry is promised at that event too - as is scotch and a bag piper. There will also be chicken soup, turkey and trimmings and other food. Information about the second event can be found by clicking on this link: http://bit.ly/1dVuEUk
2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOZART - The Portland Symphony Orchestra is celebrating Mozart's birthday on Sunday at Portland's Merrill Auditorium. The music commemorates Mozart's 256th birthday. The celebration will be led by conductor Robert Moody. The concert begins at 2:30 p.m. Guests are invited to join artists for the Concert Conversation an hour and 15 minutes before the concert and a post concert Q&A directly following the performance. Tickets for the concert range from $26-$64 and are available through PortTIX at (207) 842-0800 or www.porttix.com. More information about the concert can be found on the Portland Symphony Orchestra's website: http://bit.ly/1aSPJc2
3. SNOWDEO - Snow lovers should consider making a trip to Rangeley this weekend. The Snowdeo is taking place Thursday through Saturday at Rangeley Inn and Haley Pond. Demo rides, radar runs, displays, vendors and children's activities are all planned for the weekend, along with a parade and fireworks. Most events are free. More information can be found here: http://bit.ly/1dBR8nm
4. CHINESE NEW YEAR CELEBRATION - Join a local author in a hands-on craft Chinese New Year Celebration on Saturday from 2-3 p.m. at Sam L. Cohen's Children's Library. Jennifer De Cristoforo is the author of Lucky Bamboo Book of Crafts: 100 Projects and Ideas Celebrating Chinese Culture. See more at: http://bit.ly/1mDNtdX
5. CRASH REEL: THE DOCUMENTARY - For those looking for a good movie this weekend, head to the Space Gallery Friday night to see "Crash Reel" at 7:30. The movie highlights 20 years of action footage and interviews with champion snowboarders. More information can be found on the Space Gallery's website: http://bit.ly/LS2E7P
6. TWELFTH NIGHT - Shakespeare fans can enjoy a night of acting at Portland Players Friday night. It begins Friday and runs through February 9. The play is $20 general admission, $18 for seniors and $15 for students. Click here for more information: http://bit.ly/1hTtsjD