Electrical fire sweeps through Millinocket credit union

8:04 PM, Jan 8, 2014   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

MILLINOCKET, Maine (NEWS CENTER) --- Wednesday was an alarming day for workers at a credit union in town after an electrical fire broke out in the building during the morning hours.

Responders say thankfully no one was hurt. Employees at the Katahdin Federal Credit Union on Central Street did have to evacuate the building and take their equipment with them. Investigators say the fire broke out in the boiler room of the building and spread quickly through the walls into an apartment in the building and then up to the attic.

"We had two individuals transported {to the hospital}," said Thomas Malcolm, who is the town's deputy fire chief, "one individual that lives in the apartment..the other an employee of the credit union that tried to get him out ..just for precaution because of the smoke. It was heavy wretched smoke."

Firefighters say the credit union did suffer internal damages. It most likely will be closed for the next several days.

On Wednesday directors of the credit union didn't offer any comment on the fire. The union does have a temporary branch set up for its customers at the East Mill Federal Credit Union in East Millinocket. Officials say also through an emergency partnership members can conduct their business at other credit unions throughout the state.

FMI: Katahdin Federal Credit Union responds to fire at the main office; Announces alternatives to serve members impacted

NEWS CENTER

Most Watched Videos