LIVE VIDEO: 207    Watch
 

Maine Turnpike Authority seeks input on proposed 10-year plan

5:44 PM, Dec 18, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- The Maine Turnpike Authority has developed a preliminary 10-year plan and is seeking the public's input on their proposal.  State law mandates that the quasi-governmental agency develop an operating plan each decade and allow residents and turnpike users to weigh-in on it before it is adopted.

"The last 10-year plan included about $600 million of work over a decade," stated Dan Morin, spokesman for the MTA.  "This plan is down to about $250 million that includes no toll increases within the 10-year plan."

Morin says the MTA will continue to rehabilitate and replace many bridges along the highway, as well as repave an average for 50 lane-miles a year over the next decade.

The plan also includes no layoffs. 

"We are currently at our minimum level of operations for cash toll collectors," said Morin.

He says the MTA continues to study its options for replacing barrier toll plazas in York and Gardiner and has not decided if they will introduce highway speed tolling in those locations.  Maine's first highway speed toll plaza opened earlier this year in New Gloucester.

Morin says the MTA is headed in the right direction, and this plan reflects that.

"Arguably the Maine Turnpike has never been in a better financial position," he stated.  "That is part of the reason why there are no toll increases included in this 10-year planning report."

Members of the public can view the report and offer their opinions and ideas for consideration until January 3rd on the MTA's website.

NEWS CENTER

Most Watched Videos