Four homeless after Lewiston apartment fire

6:27 PM, Mar 30, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

LEWISTON, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- A Lewiston family is homeless after a grease fire destroyed their apartment unit Saturday afternoon.

The first floor of 101 Pine Street is a total loss after a fire started around 1 p.m., according to Lewiston Fire Investigator Paul Ouellette.

Ouellette said the daughter accidentally started a grease fire while cooking lunch. He said everyone evacuated the building, and no one was injured.

"The fire flared up real quick," said Ouellette.

He said it's a common mistake to cook with grease at a high temperature. To reduce the risk of fire, he said people should gradually increase the heat.

The family of four is receiving assistance from the Salvation Army.

 

NEWS CENTER

Most Watched Videos