LIVE VIDEO: WCSH NEWS CENTER 6 at 5:00    Watch
 

Bates students see how quickly a fire can destry a dorm room

6:19 PM, Nov 3, 2010   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

LEWISTON, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Students at Bates College in Lewiston got to see what it would be like if their dorm room went up in flames.

A dorm fire at Bates six years ago was caused by a lit candle. Since then the school has banned the use of candles in the dorms.

So the school teamed up with the Lewiston Fire Department to show students what they can do to lessen the likelihood of a fast moving fire where they live.  

The demonstration dorm room came complete with empty pizza boxes and a cloth tapestry attached to a ceiling partially covering up a smoke detector.

It didn't take long for the fire to roar out of control.

-Within 20 seconds the small room fills up with smoke.

-Within a minute flames engulf the back wall.

- Four minutes in, a flash over as flames spread across the ceiling and shot out the roof.

Fire officials say they wanted to put on a display that was as realistic as possible because it's easy for young people to get complacent about fire safety.

NEWS CENTER

Most Watched Videos