Man charged with Bangor baby death arrested in Maryland

4:28 PM, Mar 1, 2010   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

BLADENSBURG, Md. (NEWS CENTER) -- The FBI announced Monday afternoon that Edgard Anziani has been arrested in Maryland on a murder charge stemming from the death of a 15-month-old boy in Bangor.

The FBI said Anziani was taken into custody without incident around 1 p.m. in Bladensburg, Maryland, which is about 8 miles northeast of Washington, DC.  Officials said during their investigation, they learned Anziani had traveled to Maryland.  He was arrested on a federal warrant charging him with Unlawful Flight to Avoid Prosecution.

Bangor police had issued an arrest warrant for Anziani, 27, of Lawrence, Massachusetts, Thursday charging he had killed 15-month-old Damien Lynn on Tuesday, February 22.

The FBI had issued a $10,000 reward on Saturday for the arrest of Anziani.  FBI agents said Anziani is "known to be violent."

Emergency crews were called to the home where Lynn lives with his mother around 7 a.m. Tuesday for an unresponsive baby.  Police say Anziani is not the baby's father, but is the mother's boyfriend and had been coming to Bangor on and off for the past four months. 

Authorities said on Tuesday morning Anziani was caring for the child, as Lynn's mother had gone to the hospital in the middle of the night with abdominal pains.  They say Anziani told them Lynn woke up around 4:30 a.m. crying, and as he went to warm a bottle for the baby, he heard a thump and found Lynn had fallen down the stairs.

According to court documents, Anziani handed Lynn to emergency workers when they arrived, and the baby was blue and not breathing.  Lynn was pronounced dead at Eastern Maine Medical Center.  The state medical examiner's office said the injuries Lynn sustained were not consistent with a fall down the stairs, and ruled the death non-accidental and classified it as homicide.

Dr. Marguerite DeWitt reported the baby had acute trauma to the brain, and was the cause of death.  She also reports Lynn had a human bite mark on his arm, two broken arm bones, four broken ribs, three small puncture type injuries on the bottom of his foot, and injuries that could be caused by a blow to the abdomen.

According to court documents, Lynn's mother said her child did not have any injuries when she last saw him at 2:30 a.m. Tuesday.  The babysitter who was watching Lynn until 11:30 p.m. Monday told authorities the same.


Most Watched Videos